So, you wanna pick the right domain name? Well, that’s great!
But, there are some rules you should follow in order to have the best domain name. Nothing too crazy, but it pays off in the long run. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- The shorter the better. Yep, the shorter you can make your name the better. You don’t want someone to have to type a really long name just to get to your website. Who has time these days? lol but seriously, keep it short.
- Make sure to use the right extension. The golden rule to follow is to use .com. However, there are certain instances if you are in the non-profit sector, or even in the education field where you will need to use .org or .edu. If you are neither of those things, and cannot get .com, then just make sure you are SUPER creative with your name.
- Get multiple extensions or variations of the name so your competitors can’t [.com, .co, easy misspellings, etc]. Hello, that makes sense! You may not use all of them, but why would you leave them out as available if you don’t want your competitors to have them. If this is financially feasible, do it! However, if not, that’s okay too. Maybe just grab two or three.
- Choose your domain provider for the long haul. You don’t want to switch domain providers continuously. Not only is that not financially beneficial, but it can confuse your consumers. We love Google Domains, just saying!
- Avoid hyphens and numbers. Yeah, those aren’t great to use in a name. It’s like when you have a math problem and all of the sudden you have both numbers and letters…no, thank you! Help us non-math-people out and just stick to letters. We would greatly appreciate it!
So, that’s it. 5 simple steps to take when choosing a domain name. Keep it short, make sure to use the right extension, get multiple extensions/variations if possible, choose your domain provider wisely, and avoid hyphens and numbers. If you would like to learn more, we can help! Schedule a call with us today.